Wednesday, April 6, 2016

A Description of Where I've been

Well, I'm at it again, working on increasing my health and athletic capability while decreasing my mass. I'm determined that this will, in fact, be the last "first time" I restart, and so, need to lay out how I got here.

At the beginning of March I weighed 291#, and had a BMI of 42.97. This is my personal record, and the result of both a very difficult time at my former job and my personal cognitive distortion related to food. In short, I have a pattern of not wanting to think about food, which encompasses planning, preparation, and awareness. It's too easy to eat unknowingly, especially when it's late, and you're tired, and I fell prey to a very bad habit of just grabbing things, and, to be very honest, eating too much.

The habit is not a new one, I can look at weights tracked back to college. I hit 230# while trying to control my GI symptoms with "small frequent meals" that turned into "full frequent meals." My response to that, and a light courseload, was to hurl myself into exercise bulimia, doing Tae Bo in the morning, pilates at lunch, weights in the evening and a walk at night. It worked, and I dropped weight, and even made it to a "normal" BMI for a brief window, while at the same time running 3 miles 5 days a week and going to graduate school.

The running didn't stick once I met the man I would eventually marry, and in th eglow of new love, we ate out, and it didn't matter, because I was in love, and too busy for activity that he didn't want to share. Moving 2 hours away didn't help, and the excuses began. My asthma was worse. I didn't like the park close to my apartment. I couldn't do indoor activities because I lived on the second floor. I didn't have time. All in all, in the 11 years I have known him, I have gained a net total of 115#. So, about 10 pounds a year.

It has been a decade of great change, school, training, cross country moves, new jobs, house building, and yes, weight loss. I have data intermittently, while tracking, that show losses every 1-2 years of 30-40 pounds, never maintained. As I look back I can remember the names of the tools I used for each of them: South Beach, P.I.N.K. fitness, myfitfoods, LEAP elimination, Whole30...

Clearly, nothing stuck, and it left me in a place that may be worse than I started. I have been trying to find food that is "safe" that does not exacerbate my IBS or migraines, and with the magical thinking that if I just find this magical and correct way of eating, I will lose weight and do more.  

That is clearly a load of bullshit, and I know better.

I am obese because I have not been paying attention to what I put in my mouth. For all the reasons: guilt, shame, laziness, fear, health halo...it doesn't matter. Food is delicious, and I put it in my mouth until I can't do that thing anymore.

So, henceforth, I am focusing on paying attention. Right now I am logging food, regardless of the total, to resume the habit of doing so, and of paying attention to intake without shame. Eventually this will transition into a calorie limit and goals, but for now, just logging, accurately, faithfully, regularly.

I am increasing my activity, for my healthy and ability, and am wearing a little gadget to motivate myself with that. Cardio and weights at the gym, working out 5 days every week, and forming that habit as well.

I know this is not going to be the quick response I have had as recently as this time last year, when I "lost weight like a dude" and dropped 40 pounds in a month, but I am in a better job, with lower stress, and this time, I need it to be for life.

~Kith

No comments:

Post a Comment